Down

Did You Know?


That there was once a coalmine in Wembley, Middlesex!

Wembley Coal Mine
The Wembley Coalmine Site
 
Image courtesy of Philip Grant/Wembley History Society

Built at the same time as the original Wembley Stadium in 1923 as part of the 1924-1925 British Empire Exhibition, this was was a full-size working replica built under the management of Henry Eustace Mitton and the Mining Association of Great Britain.

Two brick-lined shafts were sunk into the London Clay beneath Wembley with the main shaft being approximately 18 feet (5.5m) in diameter and 43 feet (13m) deep. The main shaft was situated within the southern part of the site, at its highest elevation, so that people traversing the replica could walk out through an adit into a mining museum. The total length of the mine corridors was recorded as approximately 1300 feet (400m).

The exhibition coal mine was intended to act as a fully “working” replica. Evidence shows that real coal was “glued” to the walls, floors and ceilings to hide structural features such as walls, RJSs, concrete and timber. These were worked by real miners, with coal carried by trucks, carts and pit ponies.

Numerous exhibits and rooms were included in the below-ground replica, including pump rooms, offices, explosive exhibit, loading machines, colliery plant and drilling equipment.

Mine Outline
Outline Plan of the Mine
 
Image courtesy of Philip Grant/Wembley History Society

The entrance fee to visitors was 1s. 3d. for adults (7p) and 8d. for children (4p).

The site has been redeveloped several times since and no evidence of this mine now remains visible or accessible.


Site Map Top
[Newswatch]