The Mountain Code
- Do not tackle anything which is beyond your training and experience.
- Ensure your equipment is sound.
- Know the rescue facilities available in the area you are in and the procedures in case of accidents.
- Avoid going into the mountains alone unless you are very experienced.
- Leave word of your route and proposed time of return.
- Always report your return.
- Make sure your map and compass skills are well practised. Rely on your compass.
- Avoid game-shooting parties.
- Enjoy the quiet of the countryside; loud voices and radios do disturb.
- Do not throw stones or dislodge boulders.
- Know the local weather forecast.
- Weather conditions change rapidly. Do not hesitate to turn back.
- Know the conditions on the mountain.
- Keep to footpaths through farm and woodland, If in doubt, ask.
- Dig a hole to make a latrine and replace the turf.
- Remember the danger of starting a fire.
- Take all your litter home.
- Avoid startling sheep or cattle.
- Avoid disturbing wildlife.
- Never damage or remove plants, flowers or trees.